Posted by Dr Sam, On 16 Nov, 2021 | Updated On 3 Jan, 2022 2 Comments »
|Main Ingredients||Organic Chicken, Brown Rice, Olive Oil|
|Cook Time||160 minutes|
|Nutrition||Calories – 1205.25 Kcal, Protein – 68.99 mg, Fat – 34.09 mg, Vitamins – 99.88 mg, Minerals – 6653.81 mg. See Nutrition Details|
|Suitable For||Small Breed Dog with 1034 Kcal daily energy need|
NB: This Rice-chicken recipe is formulated for Panda as requested by Gabby (one of our users). Panda is a mini sheepadoodle, 25 lbs, 23-week old dog with 1034 Kcal daily energy need. If you want the same for your dog, use our dog Daily Energy Requirement (DER) calculator to get your dog’s DER. Then post his/her DER, weight, age and breed size (i.e. toy, small, medium, large or giant) in the comment section of this post.
Poor food quality is one of the banes of dog food allergies. So make sure you buy clean, wholesome foods from reputable purveyors. Buy government-inspected food products. We recommended good quality food stuff here on Amazon. But feel free to get yours from any other suppliers.
All ingredients’ measurements are done in gram with good, sensitive and accurate kitchen scale that measures up to hundreds of gram and very sensitive gravity scale that measures down to 0.01 gram!
- Raw Uncooked Brown Rice: 145 gram
- Organic Chicken: 165 gram
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: 1 Teaspoon(s)
- Broccoli (Chopped): 2 cup(s)
- Parsley: 3 gram
- Celery (Coarsely Chopped): 30 gram
- Bay Leaf: 4 gram
- Peppercorn: 2 teaspoon(s)
- Whole Clove: 4 gram
- Eggshell Powder: 1.5 teaspoon(s). See how to make eggshell powder.
- Kelp: 1.08 gram. Empty the capsule of kelp on your gravity scale and measure.
- Spirulina: 0.6 gram (Please Buy Earthrise Brand only). To be sure of giving your dog recommended amount of spirulina, please used very sensitive gravity scale that measures down to 0.01 gram!
Alternate the use of spirulina for your dog: 1-WEEK ON, 1-WEEK OFF
- Vinegar: 3 teaspoon(s)
- Pumpkin Seed Powder: 4 tablespoon(s). To be sure you’re using pure pumpkin seed powder, I recommend you get Terrasoul Superfoods Organic Pumpkin Seeds and grind it with an effective coffee grinder.
Our method of cooking is Moist-Heat method. Moist-heat methods are those in which the heat is conducted to the food product by water or water-based liquids such as broth, stock and sauces, or by steam. The method includes Boiling – 212°F (100°C), Simmering – 185°F to 205°F (85°C to 96°C) and Poach – 160°F to 180°F (71°C–82°C).
1. Place the chicken in a stockpot.
2. Pour boiling water till the chicken is covered and heat at (212°F) 100°C to return to a boil.
3. Allow to cool for like 3 to 5 minutes then skim the fat scum.
4. Add the kelp, celery, broccoli, bay leaf, parsley, peppercorn and whole cloves.
5. Simmer at 185°F (85°C) for about 2 hours 30 minutes until the chicken feel tender when pressed on the thigh.
6. Remove the chicken from the liquid, place in another container and cover till needed.
7. Strain the broth. Keep the broth and the filtered separately in appropriate containers and cover them.
Make sure these items are not kept unrefrigerated for up to 1 hour at a stretch.If you are not using the chicken, the filtered and the broth immediately, please cool them on ice-water bath and refrigerate below 41°F (5°C).
8. For safe cooking of rice:
- Firstly place the rice in a fine mesh strainer and holding under cold running water till the water runs clear, drain well.
- Take four cups of water for every cup of raw rice and bring it to boil.
- Then add the washed rice and boil for another 5 minutes.
- Then discard the water and sieve the parboiled rice to drain.
9. Combine the chicken broth, the parboiled rice and the olive oil and heat at 212°F (100°C) till boiling.
10. Add the apple cider vinegar, pumpkin powder and spirulina and stir once or twice.
11. Reduce heat to low 185°F (85°C). Cover the pan and simmer for proper cooking time (or until water is absorbed and rice is tender).
12. Test for doneness. Cook a few additional minutes if necessary.
13. Remove saucepan from heat and let it stands 5 minutes. Fluff rice with fork.
14. Debone the chicken and then cut the chicken to size.
Bone piece is very dangerous when dog swallowed it. Your puppy may not be able to digest it and this can cause puncture of the intestine.
15. Sprinkle the eggshell powder to make up for removed bones from the chicken.
16. Add the chicken and the filtered from the broth to the rice and mix.
Then allow to cool for another 5 minutes to normal warm temperature.
And the meal is ready!!!
Nutrition Details of This Brown Rice Homemade Dog Food
This recipe is formulated to give your dog nutrients profile as approved by Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO).
Here is the detailed nutrients of the recipe as compared to AAFCO standard:
The excesses in the Calorie, Protein and Fat as compared to AAFCO are to make up for undigested portion of the food that will be passed out as feces. After all, no system is 100% efficient!
|Nutrient||Details by this Meal||AAFCO Standard|
|Energy||1205.253 Kcal||1034 Kcal|
|Protein||68.993 g||58.214 g|
|Fat||34.094 g||22.024 g|
|Pantothenic Acid||2.082 mg|
|Folic Acid||0.25 mg|
|Vitamin B12||0.0003 mg|
|Vitamin A||0.08 mg|
|Vitamin E||1.499 mg|
The meal is for a day.
Divide the whole meal into 4 and spread feeding through the day.
Please Share with Your Friends/Followers
Do you have question or opinion about this post? Make it in the comment below.